Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My bad experience in valencia 7/10/07

Well my excursion to find the holy grail was successful but I had a horrible experience fifteen minutes before it was time to get on the bus and head back to the hotel. I had gone into a book store while we had free time because I wanted to bring my dad a book for his birthday. I was happy that it took me less than five minutes to find a book I was pretty sure he would like. He told me he wanted to learn more about the Spanish civil war before I left and that he wanted me to learn as much as I could about it. So I bought him a book about a news reporter who became a spy and triple agent during the war. It looked interesting and he has read things like that before so I figured he would enjoy it. It was in Spanish but I know he has read books in Spanish before so I think he shouldn't have any problems with it.

I vividly remember making sure I had my wallet coming out of the book store I would constantly pat my my pocket to make sure I felt the outline of my wallet in my pocket through out the trip while we were walking the streets. It was soon time to get on the bus and I wanted something to drink. I saw a drink stand serving something that looked like horchata I wanted to try it. I reached inside my pocket to get my wallet before approaching the stand all I could feel was empty space. I didnt want to panick but started to because I never put my wallet anywhere but in my right front pocket. I franticly started to check other pockets with no luck. I gave a small sigh of distress and came to the realization I wasn't going to see my wallet again.

At first I tried not to get mad that I got pick pocketed. I was actually a little impressed that somebody made my wallet disapear with out me having the slightest idea it was gone. It was pretty slick. I knew I had to find Gary as soon as possible if I were that somebody who stole my wallet I would rack up the credit cards as fast as I could. I know all my credit card acounts by memory but I left the phone numbers to the credit cards in my suitcase. Luckily Gary had some phone numbers for credit cards with him and they were able to find the bank I have my cards with.

Gary really came through for me that afternoon. I didnt want to have to deal with being on hold and having to speak with representatives that probably didn't speak much English. Gary got all of my information and took care of everything for me.He made me laugh even though I was in a sour mood telling me what a hassel it was having to deal with the representatives.

I always have to learn things the hard way, its just the way I am. It's very seldom I listen to wise people when they have something to tell me that will benefit me. Next time I travel abroad I will definitly use that uncomfortable under clothing wallet I bought so this unwanted experience doesn't happen again.

No comments: